Employment After Graduation: A Complete Guide to Applying for F1-OPT


Jonathan Perez | Nov 28, 2023 Insurance

With the end of the fall semester coming and graduation season approaching soon, it is time to start thinking about and finalizing your plans for after college. You may have worked small jobs either on or off campus but if you intend to stay in the United States post-graduation while working in your field, then you must apply for the particular employment authorization to do so.

With this, you may have heard of the term F1-OPT. To briefly introduce this, this is a status F1 students are able to apply for to stay in the U.S. after graduation and work legally in the U.S. If you plan to apply, we at ISO want to make sure you are as informed as possible and answer some common questions we see from those applying for F1-OPT below.

What is OPT (Optional Practical Training)?

OPT stands for Optional Practical Training and is the period you can work legally in the United States after your graduation. After applying and being verified, a student can be granted up to 12 months of employment authorization under OPT.

There are two types of OPT: pre-completion and post-completion OPT. The majority of students will commonly participate in post-completion OPT, which takes place after you complete your studies at school. Pre-completion OPT, on the other hand, can be undertaken after just one full academic year.

You can apply for OPT regardless of if you are a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) major or non-STEM major. If you’re participating in one of the listed STEM-related areas of study, you are also eligible to apply for an additional 24-month extension to your post-completion OPT employment authorization even before your first year of OPT ends.

For those in STEM, eligibility for a STEM OPT Extension requires:

  • Receiving a STEM degree in accordance to the STEM Designated Degree Program List,
  • Your employer utilizes the E-Verify government system, and
  • You must be approved with STEM designation for your first year of OPT

Know the Process: Applying for OPT

The first step in applying for OPT is talking to your Designated School Official (DSO) and requesting them to formally recommend for you to participate in OPT. To do this, your DSO will:

  • Endorse your Form I-20 and the Certification of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, and
  • Make the required notation in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Once you have confirmed your desire to apply for OPT with your DSO, AND they have entered the recommendation for OPT into SEVIS records, you then must file the required form – Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). There is generally a $410 fee you must pay to submit the I-765.

Be mindful of deadlines and necessary documents. You can apply for OPT starting 90 days before the noted end date of your academic program on your I-20, and until 60 days after this date. You’ll also want to prepare your personal information like passport photographs, copies of your U.S. visa, and your I-94 travel history record.

If you are experiencing any difficulty with this procedure, you can visit USCIS’s website for more information. Many schools will assemble and/or review the application package for you, so make it a habit to be in touch with your DSO/advisor to stay on top of this process.

Normally, it takes about 3 months to process your OPT application and receive your EAD (Employment Authorization Document), if approved. This is necessary for you to work in the U.S. after graduating. If you don’t want to miss out on your dream job, start your OPT process and apply early!

Remember that if you do decide at any time during your OPT to return to schooling at another educational level, your OPT will terminate automatically. Your SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) will notify USCIS of your OPT status, and your EAD will be terminated immediately.

Common F1 OPT FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Can you track your OPT application and how?

Students receive a notice of action from USCIS within 1-4 weeks after the submission of your application. You will receive a case status number for your application, which you can use to track your case status here. Official processing time is 90 days but can be as short as one month and as long as 5 months.

Do you need to provide proof of employment before applying for OPT?

No. Students will not need to submit any proof of current employment or a job offer when submitting their application.

I’ve received a job offer before my EAD card became active – will I be able to accept the offer?

Yes – but you cannot start working until you have your EAD card. Students on OPT are legally allowed to work only when they have received their EAD cards and after the OPT effective date listed on the card. Make sure to keep any potential employers aware of your visa status when applying for jobs so they can prepare accordingly.

Do you receive a social security number on F1-OPT?

Students choosing to receive a social security number (SSN) during their OPT application will usually get one within 2-4 weeks after the EAD card is delivered. You can use this number to receive income and pay taxes on a job, receive government benefits, apply for a driver’s license in some states, and more.

My EAD is active, but I cannot find work. What should I do?

To maintain your OPT status, you need to:

  • Work 20 or more hours per week
  • Work in your major field of study
  • Not accrue more than 90 days of unemployment

Keep in mind that during OPT, you are also allowed to enter a short-term internship or even unpaid volunteer work which fits the first two criteria mentioned above. Please note that after 90 days of unemployment, your EAD card will automatically expire, and the student will need to either leave the country or change their visa status within the U.S.

Is F1 OPT the same thing as F1 CPT?

No. F1 CPT is a separate status for students who plan to work as a part of their academic program. It does not have anything to do with OPT and those who participate in CPT for 12+ months cannot apply for OPT in the future. We explain more about the CPT and the differences here.

Can I travel internationally while on OPT?

Yes. F1 students on OPT can travel outside the U.S. and re-enter to resume their F1 status and employment for the remainder of the period on their EAD card. Students should also not exceed the maximum OPT unemployment time.

If you are in the OPT process, you are still allowed to travel outside the U.S., but it is not recommended. If so, someone will need to monitor your mail and see if you receive any word from USCIS.

Does my school provide insurance for F1 OPT?

Schools typically do not provide insurance to international students after they graduate. Your school will have recommendations usually, but generally leave this process to the student. Employers often will have an insurance plan that graduates can use when they are hired, but it may not be provided immediately.

The Right Insurance for You

F-1 OPT students with a valid I-20 can purchase the OPT plans available through ISO. Unlike being approved for OPT, no EAD card is needed to be eligible for these plans! You only need to be in the process of applying for OPT. More information on our OPTima plans can be found at isoa.org!

Related articles


A Comprehensive Introduction to U.S. Healthcare

Jonathan Perez | Jul 09, 2024 Insurance

Using health care in the United States can be an intimidating ordeal for new visitors. Get an overview of common practices and systems in the United States, as well as how to use insurance for your visits.


Insurance Terminology That All International Students Should Know

ISO Customer Care | Jun 12, 2024 Insurance

Insurance policies can be filled with words and phrases that are not commonly used in everyday conversation. Here are some of the most common insurance terms that you need to know.


Five Reasons to Avoid the Emergency Room in the U.S.

Ed Zaleck | Jun 12, 2024 Insurance

One of the most common confusions international students have in the U.S. is determining when to go to the emergency room. Find out why it's best to avoid going there.

About ISO Student Health Insurance

Founded in 1958, ISO prides itself on being the leader in providing international students with affordable insurance plans. Administered by former and current international students, we are able to assist our member with multilingual customer service in Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, and more. ISO serves over 3,200 schools/colleges and more than 150,000 insured students every year.

For more information, please visit www.isoa.org and connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, WeChat, WhatsApp, and LinkedIn.

You chose for subject:
"Find doctors, clinics or hospitals".

Why not try looking for answers on our
Find Doctors & Hospitals