Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ

Find the answers to our frequently
asked questions here

All ISO plans provide coverage for sickness and injuries, including COVID-19. Any treatments that are medically necessary, meaning when you are sick or have COVID-19 symptoms, are eligible for coverage, according to your plan benefits.

For information about your insurance plan, as well as the specifics of your coverage, you can refer to your policy’s brochure, pages 3-6.

You can learn more about COVID coverage, symptoms and treatment here:

For COVID-19 related pre-tests that are medically necessary, they will be covered as any other sickness according to your plan benefits. However, any non-medically necessary testing without any symptoms is not covered under the plan.

Please note testing done for travel or school requirement, as well as antibody testing, are not considered covered under our plans. We suggest you check the state website if there are locations that perform free testing as part of the state program.

For information about your insurance plan, as well as the specifics of your coverage, you can refer to your policy’s brochure, pages 3-6.

You can learn more about COVID coverage, symptoms and treatment here:

If you are enrolled in a plan that provides wellness and preventive care, the COVID-19 vaccine will be covered 100% when visiting an in-network provider. If your plan does not provide wellness and preventive coverage, when getting the vaccine, indicate that you do not have insurance and the cost of the vaccine will be covered through the CARES Act. You can learn more about COVID-19 vaccine coverage here:

ISO plans are offered to non-U.S. citizens only. Our student plans are available for international students who are currently away from their home country and engaged in educational activity. Voyager Plan is available for part-time students, dependents, and other non-US citizens in the USA. For specific eligibility requirements please check each plan's policy brochure. If you are a permanent resident or have applied for permanent residency, you are not eligible to ISO Plans.

Yes, you can complete the last 2 pages of the policy brochure for the plan you want, called “Enrollment Form”. After you fill this out, scan and email or fax the form (if paying by credit card) to ISO: Email: Fax: (212) 262-8920.

Yes, F1 OPT students with a valid EAD card can purchase the OPTima Basic Plan or the OPTima Enhanced Plan. You are eligible to the OPTima Basic or the OPTima Enhanced plan if you have applied for OPT.

No, you do not need to wait until you receive your EAD card or wait until your EAD card to be effective. You are eligible to both OPTima Basic Plan and OPTima Enhanced Plan if you filed the OPT application.

If you hold a U.S. citizenship, then you are not eligible to any of ISO’s insurance policies. This also applies if you have citizenship but have not resided in the U.S. for over a period of time, have a green card, or have applied for a green card.

Dependents on F2 or J2 visas can enroll with the F1/J1 visa holder's plan as a dependent. If the dependent is 7 years old or older, they also have the option to purchase their own plan, the Voyager plan. This option is usually more affordable, but fewer benefits are offered.

Yes, if you hold a valid I-20 and considered a full time student, you are eligible to ISO's student plans. Just input your personal information on the homepage to find the plans offered for your school.

No, you can only add a child or spouse as a dependent.

The minimum age to enroll in a student plan is 12 years old. The minimum age to enroll in a non-student plan is 7 years old. Maximum age to enroll for all plans is 64 years old.

Yes, you can purchase either the J1 Exchange Plan or J1 Exchange Superior Plan. You should select the effective coverage date of the policy according to your program start date or the estimated arrival date to the U.S.

ISO plans cover sicknesses and injuries. Different plans offer different levels of coverage. Please check the summary schedule of benefits in the brochure. For additional information please call our claims administrator. The claim administrator information can be found on the back of your medical card.

All student plans, as well as the Voyager plan, can become effective as early as the day after you complete the online enrollment and payment for your plan. Otherwise, you can select a start date. For the OPTima plans, they can only start on the 1st or 16th of the month. For example, if you enroll and purchase an OPT plan on the 10th of the month, your coverage will begin the 16th of that month.

Please visit our website and choose the plan that fits your needs. Click on the “Buy” icon and follow our convenient registration and purchasing process. Make the payment online using your credit or debit card. We will email you a confirmation letter, your insurance ID card and your plan’s brochure instantly.

Yes, you can purchase the plan from anywhere on our website, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. A confirmation email attached with the PDF insurance card and confirmation letter will be sent to you directly after your purchase.

No, ISO does not require members to show any proof or documents when purchasing the plan. We might ask for additional information when processing a pending claim. Please note that any failure in providing valid proof is liable to result in the denial of a claim.

No, payment for the selected period of insurance (the whole term) is due at the time of enrollment. If more affordable for you, you can continually purchase plans at their minimum length (for example, three months at a time).

You may pay by debit or credit card online. Alternatively, you may choose to mail in your payment voucher with a personal check or money order. Please see specific instructions on the payment voucher on step 4 of the enrollment process.

On Step 4 of our enrollment process online, select “Print and mail with check/money order” then click “Create payment voucher”. You can complete the required information on the following page.

Make sure the billing information you have entered is correct. Please also contact your bank and notify them that you are making a payment to ISO. If you are using an international credit card, your bank may have restrictions which need your authorization before you can make a payment. Another option would be to use a different credit/debit card to complete the purchase.

Yes, a confirmation email will be sent to you automatically after you have successfully submitted your payment. The confirmation email will have several attachments: Insurance ID card, Confirmation Letter, and your policy brochure. Please check your junk mail or spam folder if you cannot find it in your inbox.

During Step 3 of the purchasing process, you will have the option to add a dependent. You should complete the sections using your dependent’s information and you must click “ADD”. If you do not click “ADD” then the dependent will not be added. You will also see the updated premium when the dependent has been added successfully to the plan.

ISO is an eco-friendly company and no physical cards will be distributed. You may print your ID card from the PDF you receive following your purchase. The ID card is also available in your online account.

Please provide a copy of the email we sent you with your Insurance ID card and confirmation letter to your school as proof of insurance.

You should complete the waiver after you have purchased a plan. Please refer to your confirmation letter for all necessary information to complete the waiver.

You can access your completed waiver form by logging into your account on our website. You can then download the waiver form and submit it to your school. If you do not see your waiver form in your account, please email us the waiver form and we will assist you in completing it.

You should contact ISO Customer Service. Please include the waiver questions and/or screenshot of the waiver when you email us.

No, ISO is an insurance manager. The name of the insurance company is stated in your confirmation letter or brochure. Please refer to the insurance carrier section on the confirmation letter.

If you have the "Silver" or "Voyager" plan, the type of the plan is Indemnity. For all other plans, the type of plan is PPO.

Please contact ISO Customer Service and email us the waiver denial proof you received from your school. This document must include a valid reason for denial. We will do our best to assist.

You should contact your school for the waiver status.

For in-network providers, the rates of services have been negotiated between the doctors and the insurance company. Usually, your medical expenses will be lower at an in-network provider’s office compared to doctors that are out-of-network.

ISO uses three leading networks in the U.S. - First Health, Multiplan, and Cigna. Please check your insurance ID card (top right corner) for the in-network provider that your plan works with. If you need assistance navigating the websites, click “View Tutorial” or “Watch Video” here:

Neither network is better than the other. Check your insurance ID card (top right corner) for the in-network provider that your plan works with. Having multiple networks gives ISO members more options for finding a provider’s office.

Visit a doctor, preferably one in-network. Usually when visiting in-network the provider should be able to submit a claim for you. If they are unable to submit a claim for your visit, you can file a claim. Please download the form at the "ISO Library". You can send the documents both by mail and email. If you have any questions, give us a call!

You can contact the provider’s office directly to verify if they are currently participating with either First Health, Multiplan, or Cigna networks. Alternatively, you can call First Health, Multiplan, or Cigna to verify if the doctor or hospital is in the networks by using doctor's office or hospital’s tax ID number.

If you are sick or injured, you can find an in-network provider here: . You should call the provider’s office to schedule an appointment. When calling a provider to set an appointment, mention that your plan works with the network found on your medical card. If the provider needs to verify benefits, they may call the claims administrator. The claims administrator, phone number and address to send the claim can all be found on your medical card.

When you are visiting in-network, this means you will be receiving the services at a negotiated rate, this does not mean it will be covered at 100%. All claims will be processed according to your plan’s benefit limits.

First, confirm if it is a bill and not an explanation of benefits (EOB), which was sent to you by the insurance company. Then, contact our claims administrator, and check if there are any pending claims.

You should send the claim to the claims administrator for your policy. The claims administrator information can be found on the back of your medical card. Once you have verified this information, please proceed to the claims process page to submit all documents.

You can view our Claims Process page for more information on how to submit the claim. Please check the back of your medical card to view the claims administrator information for your policy.

Wellfleet is ISO's claims and benefits department that process claims for ISO members. You can contact Wellfleet to check claims process, eligibility, plan coverage and other claim related questions. Wellfleet's office hours are Monday to Thursday 8:30am – 7:00pm EST and Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm EST at (855)-664-5837.

You can find the claim form on the Claims Process page. You can send the documents either by mail or electronically. You will submit all documents to the claims and benefits department. Please view the back of your medical card for claims administrator information.

If it is for the same injury or sickness, you can submit one claim form.

It is recommended to submit the claim form as soon as possible, or within 90 days of your initial date of service.

When submitting a claim, please ensure that you have the itemized bill. The itemized bill must have the name of the facility, the date of services, patient’s personal information, diagnosis code(s), CPT code(s), tax ID number and total charge of the services.

When submitting a claim for prescriptions, be sure to complete the claim form and submit it along with the prescription slip. The prescription slip will contain your personal information, the drug name, RX number, date of fill, and the amount paid.

The BIN and Group number can be found on the front, right hand side of your medical card.

To check your claim status, you may contact Wellfleet at (855) 664 - 5837 between 8:00 AM and 5 PM EST Monday through Friday or via email: You can also check your claim status online here: If you have the ISO-ACA Compliant plan, to check your claim status, you may contact Cigna at 1-800-835-7677, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or via email: Email:

If your claim has been processed and approved, the reimbursement will be mailed to you in a form of a check.

You can find your insurance policy by signing into your ISO account using your Member ID and password. You can also view policy brochures by visiting the "ISO Library".

No, we do not offer routine dental and/or vision coverage, unless the treatment is related to a covered injury.

A pre-existing condition is any injury or illness that existed prior to the date your insurance enters into effect. A pre-existing condition includes any injury or illness that you suffered from, received treatment for, and/or were prescribed medication for prior to the date your insurance started.

The insurance will pay for eligible covered medical expenses after the deductible has been satisfied. Benefits will be paid in accordance with the plan maximums, exclusions and limitations listed in the plan brochures. If your bill exceeds the benefit limits of the covered expenses, you will be responsible for the difference. Please view the plan brochure to view benefit information.

The dependent will receive the same coverage as the primary insured person under the same policy. We do not issue a separate card for dependents. They can use the same insurance ID card as the policy holder. The confirmation letter, which shows dependent’s name, can be used as proof of coverage.

Claims are processed according to your plan’s benefits limit and it is not a guarantee of payments of benefits. However, you may contact the claims administrator for your policy (see back of your ID card) directly for the general coverage questions.

Yes, but please note that you will be responsible for the cost of treatment that is not covered by your plan.

The annual service fee is a mandatory fee applied to all plan enrollments and is valid for one year. You are only charged the service fee again if the new coverage period that you are purchasing will be active after the initial service fee expiration date. We are not able to waive the service fee. For example, if the service fee expires 12/01/2017 and you have purchased a new plan terminating after 12/01/2017, then you will need to renew the service fee again.

Unfortunately, we are unable to change your plan once it is effective.

To purchase additional coverage dates, login to your account using your Member ID and password. The Member ID can be found on your confirmation letter or medical card.

You can make the payment on our website with your credit/debit card, including international cards. However, we do not take payments over the phone.

If you purchase a plan with an effective date before your 25th birthday, you will still be charged with the lower rate (under 25 years old) for the duration of your plan.

You can access the receipt by logging into your account on

Login to your online account to view your confirmation letter, insurance ID card, and brochure of the policy. Then click “email me all” or print directly from your account to your printer. If you did not receive the email, please check your junk or spam folder. Contact ISO Customer Service if you still did not receive your documents.

We do our best to provide the best products and service. Please refer to the "Refund of premium" section in your plan brochure.

A student health center (SHC) is the designated medical facility on your school’s campus (also known as “school clinic”) that provides medical services for university students. Some insurance plans offer lower deductibles for treatments provided by the SHC. If your school does not have a student health center, you can find an in-network provider through our three networks of service providers.

Yes, ISO has special plans for J1 visa holders that meet the U.S. Department of State requirements, the J1 Exchange plan and the J1 Exchange Superior plan.

As an ISO member, you are eligible for a $10 reward for each friend you refer to an ISO health plan (as long as they were not an ISO member before). You are given a special referral link when you enroll which you can send to your friends. When they click on your link before purchasing any plan from ISO, we will keep a record of the people who have been referred by you. You can contact us via phone or email to request for your combined reward check or use it as a credit towards your next insurance purchase. There is no limit to this program.

The 1095 form is provided only for those under the ISO-ACA Compliant plan. We do not issue the 1095 A, B or C form for all other insurance policies.

A sudden, unexpected and unintended event.

An additional cash benefit to be paid to the insured person or his beneficiaries (usually family members) if an accident causes either the death of the insured or loss of body parts.

Excessive and self-damaging use of drugs and alcohol, leading to addiction or dependence, including serious physical and mental damage, or death.

The maximum the insurance will provide for treatments or services per policy year.

The highest amount the insurance company will pay you for a claim that your plan covers. For example, if your limit is $1,500 and the cost of your claim is $1,700 - you will have to pay the remaining $200.

The items or services covered under an insurance plan.

The coinsurance is the percent of your bill that the insurance will cover (after you pay the deductible) and it varies from plan to plan. Please refer to your plan brochure for more information. 80% for the first $5,000 means the insurance company will pay $4,000 and you are responsible for the remaining $1,000.

The day you got pregnant.

A method, devise or medication serving to prevent pregnancy.

This is the process of determining which of two or more insurance policies will have the primary responsibility of paying a claim and the extent to which the other policies will contribute.

The fee you pay for certain medical services. For example, you may pay $30 to fill a prescription and the health plan covers the balance of the charges.

The health insurance plan allows you to use any qualified medical service provider but offers you to save money by using the PPO network the insurance plan is affiliated with. You will usually save money by getting higher benefits, or your coinsurance will be lower if you use PPO service providers.

The dollar amount of covered expenses you are responsible to pay the physician or hospital before the policy will pay any benefits. Deductible per event means you are responsible to pay the deductible once for each sickness or accident. If you return to the physician or hospital for the same sickness or accident, you do not have to pay the deductible again.

The person's immediate family members: spouse (wife or husband) and children.

The date specified on your certificate of insurance as the beginning of coverage.

A planned treatment/surgery that is subject to choice (election) and not involved in a medical emergency.

Most plans cover emergency care in a hospital emergency room if it is an extremely urgent medical emergency, even if the hospital you are taken to is not in the plan's network.

A method in which doctors and other health care providers are paid for each service performed.

A health plan offered by an employer or employee organization that provides health coverage to employees and their families.

Care in a hospital that requires admission as an inpatient and usually requires an overnight stay.

A policy that allows you to choose any doctor or hospital and is not limited to a specific PPO. The service you received, if eligible, will be covered by the terms of the policy.

Any harm to your body, usually as a result of an accident.

A medical service provider who participates in a PPO (see below) network to provide health care at a discounted or negotiated rate. When the doctor is not on the PPO list, he is considered out-of-network.

The person who purchased the insurance, whose name appears on the certificate of insurance or medical insurance ID card. It might include their dependents, if added to the policy.

The total amount payable by the insurance company for covered medical expenses due to injury or sickness per policy lifetime.

The total amount the insurance company will pay for each injury or illness during the plan year.

Transferring the insured person to the nearest hospital or medical facility in case of an emergency injury or sickness or back to their home country.

A provider who does not have a contract with your insurer to provide services to you.

The most you pay during a policy period for covered treatments or services according to the benefit limits of your plan.

A medical treatment received without being admitted to a hospital.

A person who is legally qualified to practice medicine; doctor of medicine.

The person entitled to the insurance benefits, in most cases this is you, the insured person.

A network of doctors, clinics, hospitals and related medical service providers who are organized under the PPO to provide health care at a discounted or negotiated rate.

A specified amount of money that the insurer receives in exchange for its promise to provide health insurance to an individual or a group.

A type of specified expense coverage that provides benefits for the purchase of drugs and medicines prescribed by a physician and not available over-the-counter.

A person or company legally qualified to provide medical services of a specific kind or practice medicine. Usually a physician, doctor or clinic.

The amount normally charged by medical service provider for similar services and supplies. It should not exceed the amount ordinarily charged by most providers of comparable services in the area where the services are rendered.

Transporting the remains of an insured person back to their home country.

The act of harming oneself on purpose in order to take advantage of being injured.

An illness, disease or condition of the insured for which he/she incurs medical expenses while covered under the Policy. All related conditions and recurrent symptoms of the same or similar condition will be considered one sickness.

A physician whose practice is limited to a particular branch of medicine or surgery. For example: Eye specialist.

Injury sustained while participating in any amateur, club, intramural, interscholastic, intercollegiate, professional or semi-professional sports.

The act of intentionally causing one's own death.

The date your insurance coverage ends, or you are not eligible for benefits anymore.

Insurance that covers medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses incurred while traveling. Travel insurance coverage is usually provided for a limited time.

The insurance company, the insurer. The party to an insurance arrangement who undertakes to indemnify for losses, provide financial benefits or render services.

A type of health benefit that at least partially covers vision care, like eye exams and glasses.

A form you have to submit to your university notifying them that you prefer an alternative insurance plan over the plan offered by the school.

Services aimed at preventing people from getting sick and detecting diseases and conditions before they become serious and more expensive to treat. These include physical check-ups, vaccinations and immunizations.

An electromagnetic image often used to diagnose illnesses or injuries.

ISO is the world's largest international student insurance manager. We offer dedicated health insurance plans for F1 visa international students, J1 visa scholars and students, F1-OPT holders and F2/J2 dependents. As long as you are in the U.S. on a valid visa, ISO has a plan for you.

ISO stands for International Student Organization, the world’s largest international student insurance manager. ISO has been offering affordable insurance plans since 1958 and will always be for international students, by international students.

ISO insurance plans are designed to meet the specific needs of your school’s waiver requirements or visa status at an affordable rate. Guaranteed.

ISO insurance is by far the most popular insurance for international students. More than 1 million students, from over 2500 schools and 200+ countries and territories, have purchased insurance from ISO in recent years. Our reputation has been established due to our dedicated customer service team and affordable health insurance options.

ISO insures many more international students than your college or university, every year. Therefore, we are able to offer more affordable rates to our clients. We will always offer comparable coverage to your school’s insurance, at a lower rate.

Can’t find what you are looking for? We are here to assist

You chose for subject:
"Find doctors, clinics or hospitals".

Why not try looking for answers on our
Find Doctors & Hospitals